Tuesday, December 16, 2008

You don't need fishing to test your patience

I have several friends who adore fishing. They will plan and take trips into some God forsaken interiors and will disappear for days, just camping and fishing. I also have several friends who adore open sea fishing. They too will make effort to plan and take trips out to the open sea. To many of them, it is a form of escapism. When I asked them, they strongly defended their hobby and sport and claimed that it is an excellent way to test and train their patience and endurance. They claimed that their biggest sense of achievement was when they reeled in their big catch after hours and hours of patiently waiting and fighting to bring the fish in.

Well, I have news for you gentlemen. Women don’t need to go fishing to test and train their patience. Ask any mothers with a toddler and they will tell you that they have all the training they need right at home.

As Ryan grows so does his temper and not to mention his unique ability to drive me completely nuts. If you want to test your patience, try changing his diaper when he is frantically twisting and turning while screaming at the top of his lungs. If you want to train your endurance, try feeding him when he is squirming in his high chair with his lips tightly sealed and his hands pushing and waving, and the apple puree that you have so `patiently’ prepared lands everywhere but your intended target, his mouth.

So guys, seriously, if you want to test and train your endurance and patience the next time, just babysit for a day. Your greatest sense of achievement would be to survive the day!

12 comments:

Kristie said...

hahahha that's so true for babysitters like us hahah... fulltime job, OT some more and not paid with $, but paid with love :)

Anonymous said...

Yup!!!!! That's soooooooo true!

but the more you understand why your child behaves the way he does, patience doesn't come in play anymore..... 'cos you know HOW to change (yourself or your tactics) to better calm him.... experience sir, experience....

2ma said...

daddy, u r so funny ler!!! and u r so right! haha

Anonymous said...

Funny how man tends to pick up fishing as hobby. I do find fishing a little bit waste of time. I'm curious what is your hobby?

Bonnie said...

Aww..so true. But not many man will willing to take this training you know.. Unless they are married and have kids (have to mah)..

I think I havent master the highest of this training yet, cause I will become a tiger when waw drives me up the wall.. Hahaha.. Not so good, still need more training...

Fussy mum said...

Yeah, that's very true. We really need loads of patience to deal with kids.

MommyAngel said...

101% agrees with you and it's glad this words are actually coming out from a daddy like yourself :)

P/s: I love fishing too and will go fishing with hubby if I found someone to babysit my little Angel and I can tell you, fishing is really "nothing" compare to handling a crying baby. Trust me!!!

Daddy said...

I used to do a little bit of fishing when I was much younger. My passion is golf but unfortunately with the arrival of Ryan, I have not been down to the course for over one year, hit only 50 balls at the driving range 2 weeks ago after an absence of over 6 months and I don't even know where I kept my glove!! I guess I would have to wait till he grows much older before I could retire and play a round leisurely.

Unknown said...

Yup what you said is very true. And wait till you have one more kid - You need to have even more patience and love! Not for the baby, but for the jealous toddler!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hahahahaha....this is very true!!!

Anonymous said...

I understand and fully support your statement. Even Liza is only 6 weeks old, she already testing my patient with her. I think my mum doing a great job being patient with her.

Daddy said...

Hi Lay Lien. How's confinement? Your liza picture so cute in the facebook. Will arrange for a day to drop by for visit. Going back to work soon hor? Who's going to babysit?

More Pictures on Jeju Island Coming up NEXT!