Thursday, November 6, 2008

Too late to take Rotavirus Vaccination!!

I discovered sometime last month that our paed did not recommend Ryan to take the rotavirus vaccination. I asked one of our paed friend and he said he should take it before his six months birthday. So yesterday, when Ryan went for his second Pneumococcal vaccination, we asked him to give Ryan his rotavirus vaccination as well. To our horror, he said that it's too late now because the first dose must be given before the baby reaches the THIRD MONTH! OMG! We asked him why were we not informed and he casually replied, "I have a big poster hanging outside." We were totally speechless!

Now, the only resolution I have is to seek advice from my paed friend to see whether it is at all possible to give Ryan his Rotavirus vaccination. Otherwise, he would have to be extra careful with his food and intake less he gets infected. Rotavirus will affect children from 6 months to 5 years of age! If we could not get the vaccination, the next 4.5 years would be a constant concern. Sigh!

For the benefit to first time expecting mothers, please insist that your baby get his/her rotavirus vaccination. The first dose is normally taken during the 2nd month. There are two oral doses.

Rotavirus can be caught easily through simple everyday contact. Being a virus, hand soaps and other cleaning products cannot kill it and it can survive for weeks on toys and household surface. Rotavirus is a common stomach virus and symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting and fever. Diarrhea can occurred up to 20 times a day and last up to 9 days. In serious situation, this would lead to serious dehydration where the baby would require hospitalisation.

The rotavirus vaccination is targeting 5 of the most common virus that causes 95% of infections worldwide.

You can get more information at http://www.target5forbaby.com/

13 comments:

Alicia said...

Samuel got it wen he was 3yrs old he did not eat anything for 5days... hope ryan is alrite

Anonymous said...

I dont know if my boy had this vaccination before. But He's already 3 yr old know, can't do anything right now if he missed it already! right?

MeRy said...

My boy Ryan also nvr take rotavirus immunization...

Vickylow said...

My girl never take this Vaccination too. For Pneumococcal I'll let her take b4 school next year. Above 2 years old only need 1 jab save my money and her tear haha

LittleLamb said...

What type of Paed u got????
I find that u must get a good paed. not just for the money one. One can encourage you, advice you..

Daddy said...

Hi Alicia. So pitiful. That's what I am afraid of. Apparently, my babysitter's second daughter had it too and was hospitalised.

Hi Leeyen. Nope. Apparently not. Just got to be careful and cross fingers and toes, I guess.

Hi Mery and Vicky. Apparently, this vaccination is rather new in Malaysia. Therefore, there is still limited awareness. Wah Vicky. You very good financial controller leh..hehe

LittleLamb. He is supposed to be the best there and his clinic totally crowded. I gathered so far that he is good but I can sense that he can be a bit absent minded. Anyway, this paed is the one who attend to Ryan when he was born prematurely.

2ma said...

thanks for the info! i will hv to check with mummy.

doc is recommending us to take pneumococcal for shan rae. is it necessary? there will be a total of 3 jabs rite and will cost almost rm1,000/- for the 3 jabs

Daddy said...

Hi 2ma. It is highly recommended that children under 2 years of age to take Pneumococcal vaccination. I will update some information in another post. The full dose is either 3 or 4 doses depending on the age of the child. The cost should not be more than RM1000. But what is RM1000 if the vaccination can effectively protect the child from some serious disease.

Daddy said...

Hi. My wife said that the last line in my last comment was a little sarcastic. Sorry. Didn't mean any sarcasm in anyway. My point is, being parents, we would be willing to spent any amount provided that it is for the good of our baby. Soli Soli....

2ma said...

hey daddy, no worries! i truly understand. will definitely consult doctor again on the jab.

hv a gd weekend ya!

Daddy said...

Hello everybody. Called my paed friend and he said that it is still ok to give Ryan his first dose of rotavirus and then gave him his second dose next month. So, I guess we will likely be giving Ryan his rotavirus vaccination in the next few days.

Alice said...

hey Daddy, came across your site. I'm a mother of 8 months old daughter. I'm horrified as you, as doctor said it's too late to get rotavirus vacc, how? she's now 8 months, can she still take the injection? I'm planning to let her get pneumococcal soon, but actually my instinct says rotavirus vacc first. Your last comment said ur baby still can take the rotavirus vacc? how old is he now? thanks

Daddy said...

Hi Alice. Ryan is now 2 years and 4 months. He took his rotavirus when he was just after 6 months old. Not sure whether your daughter can still take it now at 8 months. Might have to check with your doctor. Thanks for dropping by.

More Pictures on Jeju Island Coming up NEXT!