Monday, October 20, 2008

Ryan has become part of our life routine - even subconsciously

With the arrival of Ryan into our lives, our lives, priorities and routines have definitely changed. So much so, that even in our subconscious state, our actions have changed. Let me share with you the reason why I said that.

As I have posted earlier, Ryan was taken ill when he was barely 2 months old. So, in order to soothe him, my wife would carry him to sleep every night. He would be happily clinging to her mother like a little koala bear. Whenever he stirred, my wife will pat him on his back or buttocks, a way of assuring him that we are around.

When he got better, we have placed him sleeping on his tummy on the bed between us. When he stirred in the middle of the night, we would just reached out with our hands to pat him.

One night, I was awoke by Ryan's stirring in his sleep. And at the same time, I could hear the `burp, burp, burp' sound, the sound of patting. I thought that my wife was already patting him. I turned to her direction and I still see Ryan stirring. And can you guess what my wife is patting? She was patting the pillow that she was hugging. Subconsciously, she was still thinking that Ryan was still sleeping on her chest. Aiyoh! And to top it off, without opening her eyes, she was giving instruction to me to prepare the milk for him! Not wanting to wake her up, I patted Ryan and got him to sleep again.

Somewhere around 5am when Ryan stirred again and woke up for his milk, I told her what I witnessed and she brushed me off saying that I was making up the whole story just to tease her. Well, without any evidence, what was I to say. However, at the end of the day, I have the best evidence ever.

At about 7am, Ryan was again stirring in his sleep. As I turned, I was again hearing the familiar sound of `burp burp burp!'. She was again patting her pillow. I was a lot smarter this time. I poked at her and she opened her sleepy eyes and asked `Huh?' And I just pointed her to her hands and the pillow! We had a good laugh!

Is she still doing it now? You bet! But I don't have to wake her anymore to proof my point. Now, I just smiled and pat Ryan gently and let them both go back to sleep so that I could catch up with mine, before the next feed.

5 comments:

Hazel said...

being a parents is not easy...but we feel happy to see them

LittleLamb said...

yes having a baby changes our lives...

arent they angels.... so nice.

Daddy said...

Hi hazel and littlelamb. Thanks for dropping by. Definitely not easy having a baby at home. I guess it will be even more challenging as they grow older. They are definitely little angels, but they can turned into little `devils' quite easily when they get cranky. Wish me luck. Wife going to Singapore for whole week. So, it's me and my Ryan. I hope I survive this....

Bonnie said...

Relax.. Since Ryan is still young and you are always with him. Should survive the whole week when your wife is not around.

But still, good luck! Hehe

Daddy said...

Haha. Thanks Bonnie. Would keep you gals posted. The adventure begins tonight!

More Pictures on Jeju Island Coming up NEXT!